
I have discovered in the past couple of years that I have this new-found love for traveling and adventure! Who'd a thunk? Last year I spent the summer in Ecuador volunteering in the orphanages where I had the time of my life!
So when this summer rolled around it was time to find my next summer-adventure destination. This time it was Chicago, Illinois! I was able to participate in the BYU-Idaho Chicago Urban Studies Program where we put on a two-week girl's camp for inner-city girls there in Chicago. We drove to Chicago, stopping at the church history sites along the way. We visited Far West, Winter Quarters, Independence, Liberty, Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Nauvoo, and Carthage Jail. It was so neat to be able to see the history of the church and to gain a greater appreciation for the early Saints!
The top window is the window that Joseph Smith fell
through after he was shot.
Our camp lasted two weeks. Some of the girls who attended are members, some are investigating the church, and some were just friends of girls that came. We had camp from 9-3 (Monday-Friday) and did all kinds of things; we did crafts, cooking and recipes, games, sports, activities, discussions, water parties, field trips, etc. It was so neat for us counselors to be able to work with these girls and (hopefully!) be good examples to them.
We worked really hard to put this camp together, but don't let me fool you....we also had a lot of fun in the evenings! We were able to see Wicked (twice!), go to a White Sox baseball game, eat out at a variety of restaurants, shop like crazy, visit a Baptist Church and a Bahai Temple, go on a boat tour in Lake Michigan, see a comedy show, visit several museums, see the Chicago Temple, etc.! We were also able to meet Elder Oaks at a conference he was attending! We had so much fun :)


It was an amazing adventure and I am so grateful I was given this opportunity!
I'm excited to see what next summer will bring... :)
10 comments:
Yeah, you have a blog! I'm so excited to keep up on your adventures.
It sure was fun to see you last week. Thanks for taking time out of your busy adventure to see us!
Well looky here! Welcome!! I'm so glad you've started one! Your pics are so cute and now you've had two amazing trips!!! Yes, I am a tad bit jealous! It was fun to see you today!! Can't wait till math starts...ahhhhhhhh
I'm so glad you have a blog. This doesn't mean that you can stop posting your adventures on the Walker Clan site though! :) We all love to hear from you. Looks like you're having the time of your life traveling. I was like you before I got married...I couldn't get enough traveling but I'm so glad I did it while I was single. These will be memories you'll have forever!!
I'm so glad you started blogging! It feels like I never get to see you guys anymore, so it'll be nice to see what's been going on!
Whales...it looks great my friend, but now you have to keep it up or else it's no fun! Those pics are pretty neat and I am still so jealous of you going to WICKED. Grrrr
Andy
Um i didn't know you had a BLOG!!! Add me! kevinandkeeli.blogspot.com :) how you doing?
ok so were in Rexburg again!!! yay!!! and i hope I will see you around at school :) when will you be back???
Welp I didn't know if you were home or not. Im kinda out of it! haha but thats great you're moving out. Where are you living at?
Kaylie, that is so terrific that you went and did that counselor thing. It sure gives one an opened-eye perspective on things, eh? You will just treasure that and your Ecuador experience forever. So -- nice work! And keep up the blogging, we love it!
Kaylie...this is Sadie Dunn Packer and I might of found you by blog stalking but I just wanted to say HI. I love keeping updated with peoples lives but it is so hard because we never see each other....so don't judge that I stalked you down. Hope all is well and I am excited to stay in touch with you.
Post a Comment